Re: apt-get pinning ? - Sarge / Stable - only install certain/specific packages from "testing"

Þann 2006-06-26, 16:22:08 (-0700) skrifaði Willie Wonka:
> Hi all;
> I have a few quick questions about how to upgrade ONLY certain apps/pkgs...

Hi.

If you want to updgrade only one or two apps then all you have to do
is say apt-get install nameofpackage, and apt-get will download and
install the package and all its dependencies and take care of this for
you.

Yes, see http://www.debian.org/News/2006/20060419

> * If so, how can I make upgrade mine from 3.1r1 to 3.1r2 -- would it be as
> simple as 'sudo apt-get update' ?

apt-get update only updates the repository for your computer. That is
it only fetches a file from the server you specifie in
/etc/apt/sources.list that says what packages are available and where
to find them (along with other info).
To actually upgrade you have to do apt-get upgrade.

> * Which command can I use to show/tell if I'm using 3.1r1? -- and how when I
> get to 3.1r2?

If you havent set up your system with a distribution that was made
after 19th of april or done a apt-get upgrade since then, then you are
using r1.

> ~$ uname -a doesn't not seem to show that info.

A double negative ... tsk tsk tsk :-)

This only shows kernel specific info, the file /etc/debian_version is
the one that you are looking for.

> I don't want to (at this point in time) to do a *dist-upgrade* to testing...I
> really just want the newer version of 'hdparm' only for now ....(I'll want only
> certain specific pkgs in the future) ...So; How to upgrade hdparm only? And how
> to do it in such a way that the APT manangement tool will be aware of my
> specific changes?
>
> ~$ apt-cache policy hdparm
> hdparm:
>   Installed: 6.1-2
>   Candidate: 6.1-2
>   Version Table:
>      6.6-1 0
>          50 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
>  *** 6.1-2 0
>         500 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
>         500 ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org stable/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Right now - I have 'hdparm' 6.1 installed (Sarge/Stable) -- I'd like to use the
> newest 6.6
>
> Is this possible? -- and if so, will I break any APT dependencies whilst
> up*dating* in the future (mainly for Security updates) -- I think, if I wanted
> to upGRADE to Testing completely, I'd use this;
> 'sudo apt-get update && dist-upgrade' ...yes?

Since you seem to be using testing now you can just say apt-get update
and then apt-get install hdparm and it will install hdparm and upgrade
all the packages that hdparm depends on and none else.

HTH

Oli