Re: Two versions

Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 10:34:58AM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
Le dimanche 25 juin 2006 à 00:41 -0700, Jim Smith a écrit :
Probably a dumb question.
I just installed a new HD on this system and wish to try the testing distribution. I will install it in a partition of the new disk (hdb1) while keaving my old srage distro on the older disk (hda2). My question then is "Will Grub see the new disrtribution and add it or will it just overwrite my old boot sector and leave me unable to get back into sarge?"
The nice thing with grub is it has a nice command line that will let you
boot anything even if it's not in the configuration file.

Yes, but the great thing about the Debian Installer is that you won't
have to ;)  Unless you've done some interesting things to your install,
the installer will recognise your sarge install--there should be a
screen that says something to the effect of "Are all your other
operating systems listed below? // Debian Sarge (on hda2)".  If you see
that, it should be safe to overwrite your MBR.

Will it really identify the other installation as "Debian Sarge"? When I installed Etch, the Grub menu list entry it created for itself makes no mention of "Etch" -- just "Debian GNU/Linux" and the specific kernel appear in the title.

Of course you can easily change that. I'm just not sure if the installer will identify the specific Debian distribution by name all by itself.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson