Re: Two versions

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 10:34:58AM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> Le dimanche 25 juin 2006 à 00:41 -0700, Jim Smith a écrit :
> > Probably a dumb question.
> > I just installed a new HD on this system and wish to try the testing
> > distribution. I will install it in a partition of the new disk (hdb1)
> > while keaving my old srage distro on the older disk (hda2). My question
> > then is "Will Grub see the new disrtribution and add it or will it just
> > overwrite my old boot sector and leave me unable to get back into sarge?"
>
> The nice thing with grub is it has a nice command line that will let you
> boot anything even if it's not in the configuration file.

Yes, but the great thing about the Debian Installer is that you won't
have to ;)  Unless you've done some interesting things to your install,
the installer will recognise your sarge install--there should be a
screen that says something to the effect of "Are all your other
operating systems listed below? // Debian Sarge (on hda2)".  If you see
that, it should be safe to overwrite your MBR.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
  Generated by Signify v1.14.  For this and more, visit http://www.debian.org/