Re: iTunes Lib. to Ogg

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 01:50:48AM -0400, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> Ric Otte wrote:
>
> > Is there an easy way to convert applelossless to FLAC?  Suppose one
> > has lots of songs on a mac in .m4a format and wants to convert them
> > all to FLAC; is there a simple command that would do this for all
> > songs in a directory?
>
> m4a is not lossless. In fact, m4a files are most probably aac files inside
> the MPEG4 container format.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4a
> --

I looked at the wikipedia link you provided, and it linked to the
following:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless
According to it, apple lossless is data stored in a MP4 container with
the extension .m4a.  It is interesting that very different encodings
can use the extension .m4a.

I looked at some files encoded with apple lossless on a mac, and they
have the extension .m4a; the only program I've found that can play
them back on debian is amarok.

Ric