Googleearth on a Thinkpad - slow

Googleearth runs on my Thinkpad r50e but slowly, because it is using
emulation of OpenGL according to the message that comes up.

My son has almost the same computer but runs Suse and he gets fast
smooth rendering using the standard radeon driver, which is the right
one for my video too. I thought the difference might be that he has the
AGPFastWrite option enabled in /etc/X11/xorg.conf but setting this makes
no difference here.

Any ideas about what is needed? Anyone got googleearth running on a
similar machine?

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian