Can't build from source

hi list:

This is probably newbie question, but I've encountered several
obstacles when trying to compile from sources.

The scenario is that I've installed Debian Linux (Sarge) on iBook G3
(ppc), no I didn't use dual-system (OS X deleted) because my HD is
only 20G.

This seems to be a sadist's choice so far, because I come to realize
that many applications do not have binaries for PPC-based Debian.
Skype is an example, and I was a heavy Skype user.

When trying to compile from source, I follow these steps:

# tar xvzf package.tar.gz (or tar xvjf package.tar.bz2)
# cd package
# ./configure
# make
# make install

But somehow I always ended up stuck at "./configure" or "make". The
error msg for the former is usually "No such file or directory", while
for "make", it's usually this:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Another program (namely Privoxy) prompted with the following msg when
I entered "make":

To build this program, you must run
*** autoheader && autoconf && ./configure and then run GNU make.
*** Shall I do this for you now? (y/n) y

So I chose "y", only to get a new error msg:

/bin/sh: line 1: autoheader: command not found

---

Of course I did some Googling, but seems the situation varies a lot,
some suggests that the lack of Gcc could be the reason, but I already
have that. Anyway, searching around doesn't seem to help much. I would
be greatly appreciated If anybody can point a direction.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Lawrence