RE: does this /etc/apt/sources.list look okay?

From: Default User <xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net>

Hello.
This is my /etc/apt/sources.list file:

    #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

    deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
    deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main

    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

That was created by Debian Stable after a fresh install.  It seems
rather sparse. After past installs of earlier versions the file had more
entries, iirc.

Also, I don't seem to be getting any updates after running:

sudo apt-get check
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Am I missing some important or at least useful entries?

Thanks for any input.

I wonder if my etc/apt/sources.list is okay? It has nothing in it. Is it missing anything?

Also, what does it need to install X and a browser, so I can work on figuring stuff out off the web while I'm trying to install stuff? Right now, the best I can do is copy stuff by writing down it's contents, restarting to Windows, then typing it all again.

Love & Friendship & Blessed Be!
Lynn Erika Kilroy