Re: does this /etc/apt/sources.list look okay?

Lynn Kilroy wrote:
I wonder if my etc/apt/sources.list is okay? It has nothing in it. Is it missing anything?

It should have at least a few lines; you can get them added using apt-setup

I have lines like this:
#sarge
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free

#sarge sources
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sarge main non-free contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free

Also, what does it need to install X and a browser, so I can work on figuring stuff out off the web while I'm trying to install stuff? Right now, the best I can do is copy stuff by writing down it's contents, restarting to Windows, then typing it all again.

To install X you can just install 'x-window-system-core'; You'll also need a window manager; try KDE (kde) or GNOME (gnome)
mozilla or mozilla-firefox would be a choice for a browser to install

So as a command:
  aptitude install x-window-system-core kde mozilla
(or replace kde with gnome if preferred, replace mozilla with mozilla-firefox if prefered)

HTH,

Joris