Xorg 7.0 and ATI working!

In case there are still folks out there that like me have xserver-xorg
6.8 on hold because of the reports that X would freeze up if you had
an ATI card, I'd like to report that all is well.

I share the sentiments that the upgrade was a non-event for such a
major upgrade (at least now that the problems exposed with the early
reports have been fixed). I went into aptitude, unheld xorg-xserver,
hit U, and then g. Although I was expecting to have to apt-get install
-f a few times, I didn't have to run it once!

I have:

  IBM ThinkPad t40p
  ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000] (rev 02)
  Debian etch

I haven't seen any strange behavior in a few days now. I believe I
read that the ATI fixes were applied to Xorg 7.1, but it appears that
the these fixes were also applied to xserver-xorg-video-ati 6.5.8.0-1
which is available to Debian users of Xorg 7.0.

My thanks and appreciation go out to the X Strike Force.

A couple of notes:

1. glxgears missing

The fix was to install mesa-utils.

2. The courier fonts were ugly.

The fix was to rebuild xorg.conf (I'm assuming with a proper font
path). I did not have to resort to the workaround presented in

3. Many warnings in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

The fix was to rebuild xorg.conf.

4. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg STILL doesn't give you a
configuration file. I determined some workarounds:

  sudo sh -c "readlink /etc/X11/X | md5sum > /var/lib/x11/X.md5sum"
  sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  sudo vi /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xorg.postinst
  # Comment out the following line as well as its matching else and endif.
  # if [ -z "$UPGRADE" ] || dpkg --compare-versions "$2" le "1:7.0.14"; then
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

5. Touchpad not working

The fix was to remove the line

  Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

in Section "InputDevice", Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad" since the
driver finds the device on its own (with Protocol "auto-dev").