Windows-toolbar behavior in gnome (your not going to believe this!)

I have just found the metacity.schemas file and find that a new schema

focus_new_windows

has two possible values: "smart" applies the user's normal focus mode, and
"strict" results in windows started from a terminal NOT being given focus.

Now, if I start a window from a terminal, why the hell wouldn't I want it to be given focus?! If I start a window I want it to be raised, given focus, and even a drink if it wants it! This makes me think that metacity should be renamed to perver-city.

Should I file this as a bug? As it is, I'll using my stable boxes for anything serious until this is resolved.

Art Edwards

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
On 6/20/06, Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@bluebottle.com> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 14:11 -0600, edwardsa wrote:
> In the previous incarnation of gnome/X11 (sarge), when I click on the
> main window of an application, an associated window would be placed on
> top of all applications. In the testing distribution, when I do the same
> thing, a tile on the bottom toolbar flashes to let me know I should
> click it. The example that comes to mind is molden. If I click on the
> graphics window, I have to search the bottome toolbar to find which tile
> is flashing.  I have to say that this is really dumb. It now takes
> significantly more time to raise a window. Is there a switch/file I can
> change to get the old, efficient, behavior back?
>
> Art Edwards
>
> --
> Arthur H. Edwards
> Senior Research Physicist
> Air Force Research Laboratory
> AFRL/VSSE
> Bldg. 914
> 3550 Aberdeen Ave. SE
> KAFB, NM 87117-5776
>
> (505) 853-6042 (O)
> (505) 463-6722 (C)
> (505) 846-2290 (F)

In your window manager preferences there should be some tick boxes
saying "Automatically give focus to newly created windows" and/or
"Automatically raise windows when they receive focus". They should do
the trick.

I searched for such functionality and failed (metacity). Help...