Re: OT: Maximum number of fast ethernet cards

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 21:41 +0100, Pete Clarke wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> This is slightly offtopic, but does anyone know the maximum number of fast
> ethernet cards a typical PC can handle..?
> I want to use a cheap (ish) Debian box as a firewall/router to suppliment my
> Netgear, and provide more services to the internal network than currently
> available.
>
> With this in mind, I was intending on slapping a load of dual portal network
> cards into a redundant PC.
> I remember reading a while back that the ultimate limit will be the PCI bus
> bandwidth - with this in mind, what would be the maximum number of NIC's I
> could realistically install into a PC?

Why not use Quad-Port or 6-Port NICs?

INTEL:
Intel makes some very good 4-port NICs, but alas I've only had the
privilege of using 2 in a single machine. They work just fine. In very
new machines with 4 or 6 PCI-X slots you may be able to get 4 or 6 of
these in the machine. The only thing is, I've heard of a limitation
using the "Intel" Single Driver Kernel Module for these, being "2"
physical NICs. Bummer. But I could be wrong and/or quoting old specs.

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000gt_quadport_server_adapter.htm

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000mt_quad_server_adapter.htm

Chelsio:
All I can say is what I have heard. Wow. These babies are the shizzle
for anyone's Izzle. The are capable 4 port NICs. TCP Offload (makes your
CPU utilization near Zilch) and 64,000 TCP connection off load. Plus I
understand they only support linux. Plus the drivers are in the main
2.4/.2.6 kernels branches, 2.4.25+ and 2.6.12+. I do know they have or
have been working on making it possible to have "unlimited" numbers of
these NICs in a single machine. Unlimited only limited by physical
space...

http://www.chelsio.com/products/T204.php

Adaptec:
Adaptec used to sell 2 and 4 port NICs. Dunno about why they quit, but I
have used quite a few of them, since about '96.

No URL, but support is still there from adaptec. So if you can get 'em
you might well be able to use them. But I have zero info on multiples in
a machine.

Syskonnect:
Only dual port NICs. Stable support in Linux, amazingly works very well.
Higher CPU utilization than Chelsio and Intel, but good throughput for
that CPU utilization.

http://www.skd.de/e_en/products/adapters/pcie_server/sk-9e22/sk-9e22.html

http://www.skd.de/e_en/products/adapters/pci_x/sk-9s22/sk-9s22.html

There are PCI-X backplanes coming into the picture, with various CPU
options and upto 20 PCI-X slots. But I have not seen any definite
release indications at all.

Good luck.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net