OT: Maximum number of fast ethernet cards

Hi there,

This is slightly offtopic, but does anyone know the maximum number of fast ethernet cards a typical PC can handle..? I want to use a cheap (ish) Debian box as a firewall/router to suppliment my Netgear, and provide more services to the internal network than currently available.

With this in mind, I was intending on slapping a load of dual portal network cards into a redundant PC. I remember reading a while back that the ultimate limit will be the PCI bus bandwidth - with this in mind, what would be the maximum number of NIC's I could realistically install into a PC?

Cheers,

Pete.