Newbie Notes

Yesterday, I asked for help on a brand new Debian
Sarge install. I still do not know much about fixing
things, but I am getting better at doing an install.
My last install was done while traveling, so I did not
have network access. Since the net was not active, my
ethernet was not configured. I had asked about making
SUDO work for my normal user, asked about adding my
user to the audio group, and asked a couple of other
things.

I admit I am new, and trying to learn. This new
install was done with the network enabled, and with
the packages downloaded from an FTP site instead of
from the CD-ROM.

All seems well, and I then used VIM to edit
/etc/sudoers and added my user to enable SUDO
commands. VIM seems a little easier than VI, and with
the net working, I was able to display a cheat-sheet
for VIM while editing. I was warned the file was read
only, but was also able to override and save my
changes anyways.

I failed to write down the exact command, but I was
then able to use dpkg to reconfigure xfree86, changing
from VESA to an ATI driver. This is allowing me to use
1024x768 instead of the 800x600 I had before. I read
of a way to examine monitor properties, can someone
suggest what package allows this?

I then used apt-get to do an update, upgrade -u, and
install gaim. Thanks for those who responded and
helped me get this far. What other important first
steps should I take? Do I need a firewall? Remember I
am new, so if you make a suggestion, please keep it
simple and provide suggestions as what commands I
should use.