Re: stuck in X11 transition [SOLVED]

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 07:03:39PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 04:19:48PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > 	  apt-get -f remove cbb
> > fails, apparently because of all the problems
> > arising from being in mid-X11 transition (lots of unmet dependencies).
>
> Don't use apt-get to fix the problem.  Apt-get doesn't allow broken
> dependencies... and if you pass -f, *what you specify on the command line
> is expected to be the solution to the problem*.
>
> So you told it to remove cbb, removing cbb didn't fix the indeterminate
> state, apt-get told you so.
>
> Use dpkg to remove the cbb package.

Thanks; that did the trick.  I used dpkg -P to get rid of cbb and 2
other packages (xext, guitar) that had similar problems.

Joey Hess documented this general problem and solution in the
"x11-common installation" section of http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7.

As directed there, I'll file a bug against x11-common noting that it
needs to conflict with these packages.

Ross