stuck in X11 transition

Somehow I've gotten into a big mess with the  6.9-> 7 transition.
My initial upgrade failed with the message that there was stuff
remaining in /usr/X11R6/bin and I should move it out of the way.  I
did so, actually moving the entire bin directory (perhaps part of my
problem).
	   apt-get dist-upgrade
wouldn't run, so I did -f install.

This failed because, while unpacking x11-common, it said "trying to
overwrite /usr/X11R6/bin which is also in package cbb".

	  apt-get -f remove cbb
fails, apparently because of all the problems
arising from being in mid-X11 transition (lots of unmet dependencies).

I tried recreating the /usr/X11R6/bin (empty), but now
  apt-get -f install
gives an error processing x11-common, preinstallation script returned
error exit status 1.

I'd appreciate any assistance.  My ability to search for answers in
text mode browsers is not so good.  Please cc me on the reply.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan

P.S. The stuff still in the bin directory was
cbb dialog4duplicate joycal