Re: VPN / PPTP

This may mean you need to run:
  # apt-get update
  # apt-get upgrade

I have seen similar errors when my local copies of Package files get out of date with respect to the repository.

Bob

anthony wrote:
Ok, that makes sense from what I've been reading. I've not re-compiled my kernel before , and so far failing at the first stage. when I try to get

thinking:/# apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.16
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://mirrors.kernel.org testing/deb Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/mirrors.kernel.org_debian_dists_testing_deb_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Couldn't find package kernel-source-2.6.16
thinking:/#

do I need to add something to my sources.list??

On 6/15/06, *Rick Reynolds* <rick@rickandviv.net <mailto:rick@rickandviv.net>> wrote:

    anthony wrote:
     > For some time I've been trying to use pptp-linux to connect as a
     > client to my office VPN  (don't ask me what flavour VPN server
    this is
     > running the Network admin won't tell me)
     >
     > According to this howto until kernel 2.6.15 you needed a patch to run
     > it correctly
     >  http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-debian-build.phtml
    <http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-debian-build.phtml>

     > I am running Debian Etch Kernel 2.6.15-1-486 on an x22 thinkpad
     >
     > 'MPPE (Microsoft Point-to-Point Encryption) support requires an
     > additionnal kernel module, provided by package kernel-patch-mppe
    or in
     > linux kernel version 2.6.15 and above.'
     >
     > The support should be built in, no?

    Hi Anthony,

    I use the PPTP VPN via the MPPE kernel module all the time to login to
    work.  I've recompiled my 2.6.15 kernel, but I'm pretty sure I just
    installed the Debian source packages.

    Via apt-show-versions, I see I've got the following installed:

    linux-source-2.6.15/etch uptodate 2.6.15-8
    linux-patch-debian-2.6.15 /etch uptodate 2.6.15-8
    linux-image-2.6.15.2006.04.19 2.6.15.2006.04.19-10.00.Custom installed:
    No available version in archive

    (that last one is my recompiled 2.6.15 kernel from the previous source
    packages).

    What I guess I don't know is whether the Debian binary kernels have the
    MPPE compiled in or not.  But if you were going to compile your own
    kernel anyway, I know that you don't need to apply any special patches
    to get MPPE working if you're using the Debian Linux source packages.

    Thanks,
    Rick Reynolds
    --
    There is no reason ever to have the same thought twice, unless you like
    having that thought. -- David Allen