Re: Directory for bash profile snippets?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:55:38AM +0000, Olafur Jens Sigurdsson wrote:
> Þann 2006-06-15, 07:59:18 (+0200) skrifaði Waldemar la Tendresse:
[...snip...]

> Do you want to do something like check if a package is installed and
> if it is then set some alias, then this should work:
>
> if(dpkg -s pacakgename | grep "Status: install ok installed")
>     alias='something'
> fi

Well thanx, this one is not bad for a few packages, however if you have,
let's say 20-30 of these, bash startup is probably too slow (though I
must admit, that I didn't try it out yet).

> then just put that into the /etc/profile (I dont know cfengine/puppet
> so cant help you with that).

Well, if you have more than 2 hosts to manage, then cfengine/puppet are
your friends (though puppet is not very mature yet, but it is growing
fast, from what I have seen).

Cheers.