Re: VPN / PPTP

anthony wrote:
For some time I've been trying to use pptp-linux to connect as a client to my office VPN (don't ask me what flavour VPN server this is running the Network admin won't tell me)

According to this howto until kernel 2.6.15 you needed a patch to run it correctly
 http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-debian-build.phtml

I am running Debian Etch Kernel 2.6.15-1-486 on an x22 thinkpad

'MPPE (Microsoft Point-to-Point Encryption) support requires an additionnal kernel module, provided by package kernel-patch-mppe or in linux kernel version 2.6.15 and above.'

The support should be built in, no?

Hi Anthony,

I use the PPTP VPN via the MPPE kernel module all the time to login to work. I've recompiled my 2.6.15 kernel, but I'm pretty sure I just installed the Debian source packages.

Via apt-show-versions, I see I've got the following installed:

linux-source-2.6.15/etch uptodate 2.6.15-8
linux-patch-debian-2.6.15/etch uptodate 2.6.15-8
linux-image-2.6.15.2006.04.19 2.6.15.2006.04.19-10.00.Custom installed: No available version in archive

(that last one is my recompiled 2.6.15 kernel from the previous source packages).

What I guess I don't know is whether the Debian binary kernels have the MPPE compiled in or not. But if you were going to compile your own kernel anyway, I know that you don't need to apply any special patches to get MPPE working if you're using the Debian Linux source packages.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
There is no reason ever to have the same thought twice, unless you like having that thought. -- David Allen