Beginner help

I am a very new beginner to Debian. If this is not the right place to ask, then perhaps others can direct me. I installed Sarge, and seem to have Gnome Desktop running.

I have a few questions.
1.I need to add a user, but when I do, they cannot access the sound card. I think it is permissions, but where do I start?

2. I created a user, but SUDO seems to only work from ROOT and not from my user.

3. How can I close down Gnome and start up KDE?

Thanks for helping a new person.