Re: CUPS (1.2) is screwed up totally--I have no printers

* Eike Lantzsch <zp6cge@gmx.net> [2006-06-12 00:08]:
> On Sunday 11 June 2006 17:42, Felix C. Stegerman wrote:
> > * Kenward Vaughan <kay_jay@earthlink.net> [2006-06-11 13:16]:
> > > Just to pass this titillating piece of info along if the earlier
> > > posts aren't enough...  I have submitted a bug report.  The notes
> > > that I took for its contents follow.  If anyone has some thought on
> > > what to try, I'd love to hear from you.
> > >
> > > I need my printers... :(
> >
> > <...>
> >
> > Have you tried purging all CUPS packages and reconfiguring all
> > printers?  That worked for me.
>
> Oh well, KDE, acroread, scribus andwhatnot depend on cupsyslibs2.
> "dpkg-reconfigure cupsys" should do the trick but it didn't for me.

The following worked for me:

$ dpkg -l | grep -E '^[a-z][a-z]  ' | awk '{print $2}' | grep cups
cups-pdf
cupsys
cupsys-bsd
cupsys-client
cupsys-driver-gimpprint
cupsys-driver-gutenprint
libcupsimage2
libcupsys2
libgnomecups1.0-1

$ sudo aptitude purge cups-pdf cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client
cupsys-driver-gimpprint cupsys-driver-gutenprint

$ sudo dpkg --force-depends --purge libcupsys2

$ sudo aptitude install libcupsys2 cups-pdf cupsys cupsys-bsd
cupsys-client cupsys-driver-gimpprint cupsys-driver-gutenprint

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure cupsys

I then pointed firefox at http://localhost:631 and re-added my
printers.  All is fine now.

I only have a network printer (HP JetDirect), so I have no idea
whether this would (or even could) fix issues with USB or parallel
printers.  And even with network printers, YMMV.

- Felix

--
Felix C. Stegerman <flx@obfusk.net>                  http://obfusk.net
~ "Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature."