CUPS (1.2) is screwed up totally--I have no printers

Just to pass this titillating piece of info along if the earlier posts
aren't enough...  I have submitted a bug report.  The notes that I took
for its contents follow.  If anyone has some thought on what to try,
I'd love to hear from you.

I need my printers... :(

---------------------
With all printers deleted, see nothing under Admin page.
Turn on Epson (usb), see:

New Printers Found:

    * Add This Printer EPSON Stylus Photo R300 (EPSON Stylus Photo R300 LPT #1)
    * Add This Printer CANON (Parallel Port #1)
    * Add This Printer EPSON (Parallel Port #1)

Chose 1st, get default gimpprint beta2 driver
Get:

"Filter "rastertogimpprint.5.0" for printer
	"EPSON_Stylus_Photo_R300_LPT_1" not available: No such file or
	directory"

on return to printer page. Other driver (gutenprint rc3) gives same result.

Linking this to rastertogutenprint.5.0 failed to help.  Consistently get

	Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!

Trying to add HP 1200... HP stuff (hplip, etc) don't even see the
printer. Using the "CANON" tagged printer, set up using the standard
ppd file from hp (the NT one, which I've always used).  Directly edited
the printers.conf file to use eithee hp:/dev/lp0 or parallel:/dev/lp0.

The 1st gives a never-ending processing msg. which slides over to a
	"open device failed; will retry in 30 seconds..."
message after 30-60 seconds.

The parallel choice gives a superficially working CUPS (printing a test page
gives absolutely no errors) but there is no printout.  The printer doesn't
blink...

Noted the permissions of lp0 and tried changing them:

hpotter:/home/daddy# ls -l /dev/lp0
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 180, 0 2006-06-11 02:52 /dev/lp0
hpotter:/home/daddy# chmod 0666 /dev/lp0
hpotter:/home/daddy# ls -l /dev/lp0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root lp 180, 0 2006-06-11 02:52 /dev/lp0

Didn't work.

I have no clue what to do, folks.  I need a working system, though.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,