Re: CUPS (1.2) is screwed up totally--I have no printers

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 11:42:19PM +0200, Felix C. Stegerman wrote:
> * Kenward Vaughan <kay_jay@earthlink.net> [2006-06-11 13:16]:
> > Just to pass this titillating piece of info along if the earlier
> > posts aren't enough...  I have submitted a bug report.  The notes
> > that I took for its contents follow.  If anyone has some thought on
> > what to try, I'd love to hear from you.
> >
> > I need my printers... :(
> >
> <...>
>
> Have you tried purging all CUPS packages and reconfiguring all
> printers?  That worked for me.

Yes and yes.  No change.  Includes reboots in between. What I don't
know is whether there is another package outside of the "regular"
cupsys ones which may be leaving traces of something about, messing up
the purge.  Basically, I hit all the cups\* listed as installed.

It is also weird that CUPS identifies my usb printer (the Epson) with
/dev/lp0, which is a parallel port.

I'm wondering whether there is some problem with udev or the like.
There is no /dev/usb directory, unlike the information below suggests.
Is this because of the existence of the /udev/.static directory???

Again, my system sees the printers properly (via hwinfo):