Re: problem with etch2 netinstaller on laptop

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 14:32:21 +0200, Roberto Bernetti wrote:
> Alle 12:02, domenica 11 giugno 2006, Florian Kulzer ha scritto:
> > Which version of Xorg are you running? ("Xorg -version" will tell you.)
>
> X Windows system version 7.0.0
>
> > Your card should be supported by the i810 driver of Xorg 7.0. (I am not
> > 100% sure, though: The package description states that the i945 series
> > is supported, while the manpage only lists cards up to i915GM.) You
> > could always try to run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and select the
> > "i810" driver. (We first have to see if the driver works with the card
> > at all, then we can talk about activating direct rendering.)
>
> At the end of the process I got the following warning:
>
> xserver-xorg postint warning: not updating /etc/X11/X; file has been
>   customised

I think that is an unrelated bug. Now we have to check what was written
into your Xorg configuration file. Please run the following command

awk '/Section "(Device|Monitor|Screen)"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and post its output. Also restart X and post the output of

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(This will print all errors and warning messages.)

> > To help you with the wireless card, we need to know the exact model. As
> > Christopher has already pointed out, you should run "lspci" and post the
> > part of the output that is related to the wireless network card.

[...]

> 0000:02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 4222 (rev
> 02)
> 0000:05:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 1092 (rev
> 02)

Uh-oh, this is somewhat cryptic; it might indicate very new hardware
which is not (yet) well supported. I think the best thing is to run

lspci -n

and copy/paste the output into the form box on this web page:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

It will give you more details about your hardware and will tell you
which driver can be used (if this is known). Post the information
related to your wireless adapter here and then we will see what can be
done. (I suspect it is an IPW 3945 which will require some compiling on
your part, since the driver is not included in Debian.)

--
Regards,
          Florian