Re: local (parallel) printer does not show up when configuring cups

On Saturday 10 June 2006 19:29, Olafur Jens Sigurdsson wrote:
> Þann 2006-06-10, 18:12:58 (-0400) skrifaði Eike Lantzsch:
> > Somehow my parallel devices /dev/lp0 to /dev/lp2 have evaporated. No
> > hardware problem - I can print with that unloved "OS" from Redmond.
> > I got devices in /dev/.static/dev/lp0 but I cannot "cat printtest.txt
> >
> > > /dev/.static/dev/lp0"
> >
> > Maybe I don't understand udev correctly.
> > I did a MAKEDEV lp but nogo.
> > I got /dev/parport0
> > There is /dev/.static/dev/par0...2 and /dev/.static/dev/parport0...2
>
> Im thinking that maby some modules dont get loaded correctly, do you
> have parport and lp modules loaded (use lsmod to find out)?
>
> Oli

Thank you, that helped some.
It seems that I was loosing lp over a reboot - but I have to investigate. Just
for now hwinfo shows:

Parallel 00.0: 10900 Printer
  [Created at parallel.154]
  Unique ID: ffnC.AOY5FSxcvwC
  Parent ID: YMnp.ecK7NLYWZ5D
  Hardware Class: printer
  Model: "HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 920C"
  Vendor: "HEWLETT-PACKARD"
  Device: "DESKJET 920C"
  Device File: /dev/lp0
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #11 (Parallel controller)

Anyway I still don't get a printout. CUPS-setup via http://localhost:631 still
does not show lp. But with KDE I can configure the printer, CUPS then sees
it. But when I submit a printjob I get the error: "Printer not connected".

I will close shop now and go on tomorrow.

Thank you again
Cheers, Eike

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE