Re: ejecting CD in a program....

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 10:02:17AM +0200, Philippe De Ryck wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 23:17 +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > Anyone know the reason for this mysterious behaviour?:
> >
> > I am writing a little application which has to wait for a CD to be
> > loaded into the drive, obtain some data from the CD, and then eject
> > it ready for the next one....
> >
> > What I have found is that if there is initially no CD in the drive,
> > the program waits successfully, but fails to eject. If there is an
> > initial CD in the drive it does not need to wait, and the eject
> > succeeds..
> >
> > With a little trial and error, I have found that closing and re-opening
> > the device before the eject can solve the problem, but ONLY with a
> > sleep between close and open.
> >
> > If I leave the device open, then no amount of sleeping before the
> > eject will help...

> Hi,
>
> No solution here, but maybe you could check out the source of the
> command "eject"? This works pretty good, so maybe you find some clues in
> there.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the subset of things that eject does also
seem to work fine in my code, so I don't think it will shed any light on
what is happening.

To reproduce the conditions that cause the problem I am seeing, eject
would need to have a mode where it could be told to wait for a CD to
be inserted into a currently empty drive, and then eject it.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com