cups 1.2: (usb) printer supposedly not connected

After upgrading CUPS the other day it now claims that my usb printer is
not connected. If I physically disconnect the usb cable from the
computer and then reconnect it the logfile shows:

Jun  9 22:04:53 mnr kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 5
Jun  9 22:04:53 mnr kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: removed
Jun  9 22:05:01 mnr kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
Jun  9 22:05:01 mnr kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x4B11

usbview correctly identifies the printer.
So the printer *is* in fact connected. Why does CUPS think otherwise?

--
"Law and its instrument, government, are necessary to the peace
 and safety of all of us, but all of us, unless we live the lives