Re: APT Issues & Still Updating ETCH After Changing Sources.List To Unstable

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 07:01:47 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> Getting GPG errror-NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907 for the
> ftp://ftp.nerim.net and although I've changes
> sources.list to all unstable except for
> http://security.debian.org stable and have apt-get and
> aptitude updated several times I still get the same
> update output errors with ETCH being accessed. Noticed
> that there is a Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org
> unstable Release.gpg [189B] which might fix the GPG
> error but haven't upgraded yet.

You need to add Christian Marillat's public key to your apt keyring:

aptitude install debian-keyring
gpg --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg -a --export marillat | sudo apt-key add -

Then check with "sudo apt-key list" if the key is known to apt. This
should take care of the GPG issue.

> My apt-get update output and sources.list are copied
> below. Would most appreciate any feedback on this
> especially any sources.list errors before I proceed
> too far. Would also appreciate comment on what the new
> DiffIndex package is that I'm now seeing for the first
> time.

That is a way to save download bandwidth. Instead of the full list of
packages you only download all the differences since the last time you
did an update.

>       OOOPS, found one etch line in sources not
> commented out. fixed that and redid everything which
> fixed the etch hits. However, couldn't install the
> DiffIndex or Release.gpg packages as apparently they
> are not packages. Does an upgrade or dist-upgrade take
> care of the GPG issue and the DiffIndex issue?

As far as I can tell there is no "DiffIndex issue"; the behavior that
you describe seems normal to me.

>                                                Also
> simulated an apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade also
> with aptitude and couldn't see anything about GPG or
> DiffIndex. Aptitude wants to remove as unused some 687
> packages that are critical to me such as all of kde,
> java, all of apt, all of mozilla, etc, etc. Although
> Debian recommends aptitude as handling dependencies
> better than apt-get, I find it problematic and that it
> creates more issues than it solves unless there is
> some underlying secret in using it that I'm not aware
> of.
> All comments to any of these apt issues are most
> welcome. Maybe I can learn something new. PLZ copy my
> email as am not subscribed.

[...]

Some people on this list have had problems with upgrades if they had
non-Debian packages installed. (There is currently a major transition of
Xorg in progress.) I would try the following:

1. Comment out all non-Debian sources in your sources.list. If you have
   related package pins in /etc/apt/preferences, remove them or comment
   them out.

2. aptitude update

3. Use aptitude interactively to check the "Obsolete and Locally Created
   Packages" section. Most packages in there should probably be removed
   for the upgrade, including the Etch versions of the multimedia
   packages.

4. aptitude dist-upgrade (This should now work without removing all
   those important packages.)

5. If the upgrade goes OK it should be possible to uncomment the
   Sid/multimedia lines in the sources list and to install the new
   versions of Marillat's packages.

--
Regards,
          Florian