Re: APT Issues & Still Updating ETCH After Changing Sources.List To Unstable

Florian, sorry for the long delay. But aptitude did it
to me again. Hit the "g" key before I was ready and
there is no panic stop in aptitude. It took took out
those 682 files I wanted and I've been trying to get
them back and aptitude is not cooperating. It could
definately use a more friendly interface with a last
chance to quit before it removes everything. My
comment below:

--- Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 07:01:47 -0700, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > Getting GPG errror-NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907 for
> the
> > ftp://ftp.nerim.net and although I've changes
> > sources.list to all unstable except for
> > http://security.debian.org stable and have apt-get
> and
> > aptitude updated several times I still get the
> same
> > update output errors with ETCH being accessed.
> Noticed
> > that there is a Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org
> > unstable Release.gpg [189B] which might fix the
> GPG
> > error but haven't upgraded yet.
>
> You need to add Christian Marillat's public key to
> your apt keyring:
>
> aptitude install debian-keyring
> gpg --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg
> -a --export marillat | sudo apt-key add -

This worked perfectly for me and solved the problem. I
may have never discovered the solution on my own.
Thanks much.
> Then check with "sudo apt-key list" if the key is
> known to apt. This
> should take care of the GPG issue.

It was and it did.

> > My apt-get update output and sources.list are
> copied
> > below. Would most appreciate any feedback on this
> > especially any sources.list errors before I
> proceed
> > too far. Would also appreciate comment on what the
> new
> > DiffIndex package is that I'm now seeing for the
> first
> > time.
>
> That is a way to save download bandwidth. Instead of
> the full list of
> packages you only download all the differences since
> the last time you
> did an update.

Nice to know about it now.

> >       OOOPS, found one etch line in sources not
> > commented out. fixed that and redid everything
> which
> > fixed the etch hits. However, couldn't install the
> > DiffIndex or Release.gpg packages as apparently
> they
> > are not packages. Does an upgrade or dist-upgrade
> take
> > care of the GPG issue and the DiffIndex issue?
>
> As far as I can tell there is no "DiffIndex issue";
> the behavior that
> you describe seems normal to me.
>

> Also
> > simulated an apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade also
> > with aptitude and couldn't see anything about GPG
> or
> > DiffIndex. Aptitude wants to remove as unused some
> 687
> > packages that are critical to me such as all of
> kde,
> > java, all of apt, all of mozilla, etc, etc.
> Although
> > Debian recommends aptitude as handling
> dependencies
> > better than apt-get, I find it problematic and
> that it
> > creates more issues than it solves unless there is
> > some underlying secret in using it that I'm not
> aware
> > of.
> > All comments to any of these apt issues are most
> > welcome. Maybe I can learn something new. PLZ copy
> my
> > email as am not subscribed.
>
> [...]
>
> Some people on this list have had problems with
> upgrades if they had
> non-Debian packages installed. (There is currently a
> major transition of
> Xorg in progress.) I would try the following:
>
> 1. Comment out all non-Debian sources in your
> sources.list. If you have
>    related package pins in /etc/apt/preferences,
> remove them or comment
>    them out.

Not using preferences any more since upgrading to sid
and have no non-deb sources. Unless you mean the nerim
site.
> 2. aptitude update
>
> 3. Use aptitude interactively to check the "Obsolete
> and Locally Created
>    Packages" section. Most packages in there should
> probably be removed
>    for the upgrade, including the Etch versions of
> the multimedia
>    packages.

This probably would have worked if I hadn't hit the g
key before I was ready.

> 4. aptitude dist-upgrade (This should now work
> without removing all
>    those important packages.)
>
> 5. If the upgrade goes OK it should be possible to
> uncomment the
>    Sid/multimedia lines in the sources list and to
> install the new
>    versions of Marillat's packages.

I've spent all the time since your reply trying to
reinstall what I had and aptitude is still hindering
that. Finally succeeded with difficulty by adding back
3 packages that wouldn't remove because of some bug in
.prerm  or dpkg status 1 error(imapproxy thttpd and
netkit-inetd). A dist-upgrade did work after all this
but I didn't install because of all the critical bug
issues in kde and xorg. Guess this is just sid and
will be corrected shortly. One critical issue I have
is that aptitude interactive removed
linux-image-2.6.15-1-686 and now I have only 2.6.8 and
2.6.16 kernels in the cache. Where are kernels 2.6.12
through 2.6.15?  Otherwise all issues solved except
for the kde and xorg bugs.
> --
> Regards,
>           Florian