Re: Audio CD problems..

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:45:38AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 05:05:47PM +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> >
> > Yes, you  are right - Totem does appear to play CD's just fine.
> > (although it does seem to be lacking freedb support for nameing tracks)
>
> my first guess is that the other players are trying to play with a
> different sound system than totem. for example, maybe they are trying
> to play through alsa when you have esd running or some similar
> conflict. but that's only a guess.

I've tried with both KDE and fvwm, where the latter should normally be
free of any sound daemons.

> > But there seems to be a problem with encryption if I try to play.
> > The messages in the terminal window include:
> > 	libdvdnav: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
> > and there is a popup box says
> > 	The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. Are you
> > 	trying to play an encrypted DVD without libdvdcss?
> >
> > The mentioned lib does not seem to be in the standard libraries - anyone
> > know if this will fix the problem, and where I can find it if so?
>
> add
>
> deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ [sarge|etch|sid] main
>
> to your sources.list to get libdvdcss from Marillat's repository. This
> will allow you to decrypt dvd's.

Yep, that seemed to do the trick - thanks!

One minor glitch that still remains with the DVD playout is that totem
fails with an assertion error if I don't manually mount the media first:

(totem:7453): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion `str != NULL' failed

I would normally classify any assert failure as a program fault rather than
usage error.

The error box contains the text:
	"Failed to find mountpoint for device /dev/scd0 in /etc/fstab"
but I have:
	fujitsu:/etc/apt# grep scd0 /etc/fstab
	/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0       0

which lets me do the mount as a mortal user quite happily..

> Provided of course that you are not in a DMCA affect country :)

Don't get me started on that..  :-/

<soapbox>
I live in a country that participated in the Neuremburg trials, which
as far as I can see means that I am not only allowed, but obliged on
pain of death to disobey any laws passed by the current regime which I
consider immoral and unjust.

If DMCA were addopted by my government and the effect is to make it illegal
to play DVDs which I have legally purchased, I would considder that immoral,
and hence would have no choice but to install the software.

Not to mention the abomination that is DVD regional coding, for which I
believe the recording industry should be prosecuted and made to forfiet
all copyright claims to material so encoded as a punishment for their
restrictive trade practices....
</soapbox>

Regards,
DigbyT