Re: Audio CD problems..

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 06:26:38PM +0300, Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:

> Are you able to play it in Totem? On my system Totem is the only player
> that plays audio CDs. Haven't bothered to fix the others - maybe one
> day.
> If Totem also doesn't play, I have no more ideas.

Hi Nyizsnyik,

Yes, you  are right - Totem does appear to play CD's just fine.
(although it does seem to be lacking freedb support for nameing tracks)

Is this a known problem with Debian Etch then?

Have you found anything that can rip successfully?

I hadn't tried totem before because I had already discovered that it couldn't
play movies from DVD.

I can see and mount DVDs OK:
	digbyt@fujitsu:~$ mount /media/cdrom0
	mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
	digbyt@fujitsu:~$ ls /media/cdrom0
	audio_ts  video_ts
	digbyt@fujitsu:~$ df /media/cdrom0
	/dev/scd0              2877072   2877072         0 100% /media/cdrom0

But there seems to be a problem with encryption if I try to play.
The messages in the terminal window include:
	libdvdnav: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
and there is a popup box says
	The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. Are you
	trying to play an encrypted DVD without libdvdcss?

The mentioned lib does not seem to be in the standard libraries - anyone
know if this will fix the problem, and where I can find it if so?

For what it is worth, I tried booting Ubuntu Dapper and the CD player/ripper
seemed to work flawlessly (although I still seem to be missing a pluggin
for playing DVDs from totem)...

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com