Re: Audio CD problems..

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 05:05:47PM +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:

> Yes, you  are right - Totem does appear to play CD's just fine.
> (although it does seem to be lacking freedb support for nameing tracks)

my first guess is that the other players are trying to play with a
different sound system than totem. for example, maybe they are trying
to play through alsa when you have esd running or some similar
conflict. but that's only a guess.

> But there seems to be a problem with encryption if I try to play.
> The messages in the terminal window include:
> 	libdvdnav: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
> and there is a popup box says
> 	The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. Are you
> 	trying to play an encrypted DVD without libdvdcss?
>
> The mentioned lib does not seem to be in the standard libraries - anyone
> know if this will fix the problem, and where I can find it if so?

add

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ [sarge|etch|sid] main

to your sources.list to get libdvdcss from Marillat's repository. This
will allow you to decrypt dvd's. Provided of course that you are not
in a DMCA affect country :)