Re: VMware free server beta

David Baron wrote:
Installed this without a hitch. On next reboot, bootup hung up on or after "registering" ppp.

Logchecks for the reboot showed ppp successfully registered and no indication of what died. VMware does set up a network "device" of its own.

Anyware, booted the Knoppix CD, chroot and uninstalled the VMware. Reboot was fine.

Anyone had success with the WMware beta? Better than really opensource Qemu (with non-free but free) kqemu (the VMware install built such a driver for WMware)?

I use it on Sarge. Never had any problem with booting.
The main argument I have is the difficulty of getting data in- and out. I can use nfs but then I have to stop the firewall. I have never managed to use nfs + vmware + firewall.

Second argument is that they are X gaga, like everybody else. I am interested in textconsoles, *not* X. They only run in 800x600 mode, very poorly indeed.

But VMware runs w/o a hitch, never fails. It seems that my particular interests are different from theirs.

And you need at least a 3GHz processor to have it run halfway decent.