Re: dpkg -l is not listing packages on a new Etch installation

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 23:47:31 -0400, H.S. wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Today I reinstalled Etch on my machine. After upgrading and everything,
>I noticed that "dpkg -l" is not listing some of the packages which are
>not already installed. I was looking for vim for example, and "dpkg -l
>vim" did not list it. However "apt-get -s install vim" did find it and
>showed that it could be installed. What am I missing here?

dpkg doesn't know about all packages that are available. From the
man-page:

 dpkg  is  a  tool to install, build, remove and manage Debian packages.

The tool I use to find packages from the command line is apt-cache:

 % apt-cache search vim | wc -l
 40

I can also recommend aptitude to manage packages.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Good powers of observation are frequently called "cynicism" by those
that don't have them.