dpkg -l is not listing packages on a new Etch installation

Today I reinstalled Etch on my machine. After upgrading and everything, I noticed that "dpkg -l" is not listing some of the packages which are not already installed. I was looking for vim for example, and "dpkg -l vim" did not list it. However "apt-get -s install vim" did find it and showed that it could be installed. What am I missing here?

Oh, btw, the new installer is much improved. Good job Debian team!