xdm/gdm failure after dist-upgrade

My box is testing with a 2.6.15 kernel complied from
linux-source-2.6.15.

After the dist-upgrade this morning (Monday, June 5) X Windows failed to
start with the message no keyboard module found.

I ran dpkg-configure xserver-xorg.  This did not help.

I replaced /etc/X11/xorg.conf with a pre dist-upgrade version.  This did
not help.

I went to the kernel source file and ran make menuconfig. Device
Drivers/Input Device Support/Keboards offers 4 keyboard modules but all
are to connect keyboards to a serial port, none for a keyboard connected
to a standard PC keyboard port.

Tom George