screen resolution, font size and real estate

My monitor does a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024. I'm using KDE and it seems that the font size at this resolution is considerably greater than it is in windows, which I use at work. So I am trying to work out what is going on. I tried setting my font sizes from 10 to 8 in the KDE settings / peripherals / display. This affected half of the applications I am using, but stuff like firefox, thunderbird, eclipse, rhythmbox and so on are generally ignoring it. Can I do anything to globally affect all font sizes in X, not just in the bits that KDE controls?

Thanks
Adam