Re: is it a bad idea to use unstable on a server ?

* Jon Dowland <lists@alcopop.org> [2006-06-02 12:27]:
> > Do you think that security support for unstable is good
> > enough for this?  Or should I just go with stable +
> > backports?
>
> I don't use unstable on servers anymore so I don't know if
> security support is good enough, although I know it is
> significantly better than it has been in the past, thanks to
> the testing security team (who, iirc, also cover sid).
>
> > ~ vim: set ft=mail tw=70 sw=2 sts=2 et:
>
> ^^ interesting idea, I think I shall borrow it :)

;-)  I've been adding modelines to every file I edit lately.  I've
come up with a vim function + key mapping to insert a modeline with my
preferred settings and the current file type as a comment of the form
used by the file type I'm editing (e.g. /* ... */ for C/C++, or # ...
for Perl/shell scripts etc.).

> I'd just go with stable, keep an eye on the debian-security list and
> backport anything that you really need (which should be very
> little).

As I replied to Johannes Wiedersich (in another thread), I've decided
to go with stable and do some backports myself.

Many thanks for your insights.

- Felix

--
Felix C. Stegerman <flx@obfusk.net>                  http://obfusk.net
~ "Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature."