Re: [backports & security]

Felix C. Stegerman wrote:

> I'm about to install sarge on a (production) server of my own, and
> would rather like to have the latest versions of:
>   * mysql (5.0)
>   * vim (7.0)
>   * the Linux kernel (2.6.16) [ppc]

The latter will probably cause the most problems. The Debian packages of
the later kernels depend on an later version of libc6, with all the
further dependency implications.

You will probably be able to use the kernels you compile yourself.

For the rest, you could consider mixing stable and testing (through APT
pinning.) MySQL 5 is definitely in testing and vim 7 will make it there
eventually.

Hope this helps,

--
George Borisov