Change screen resolution

All,

I just installed debian on an older computer yesterday, but the screen resolution is
so poorly set, which is actually different from the resolution I have set during the
initial system configuration (much lower).  It looks really terrible and so
uncomfortable!:((

The screen can be set to much higher resolution (it was in a high resolution before
install debian).  But I can't find from where I can re-set the X windown resolution!
I have both gnome and kde installed, but no where I can find place to change the
resoluion!

Please anyone could tell me how can I change it?  the current too low resolution
just kills me.:((

All helps are highly appreciated.  Thanks!

Leo