Re: How do you hibernate to work?

On 5/29/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 15:05:43 -0600, Joseph Smidt wrote:
> How do you get hibernate to work on a laptop?  Is there a driver to load or
> a file to configure?

Hibernate is one of the things that still can be tricky. Depending on
your hardware, it can be relatively painless to set up or (almost)
impossible. I think your best bet is to go to a laptop site such as
tuxmobil.org or www.linux-laptop.net and hope that someone has already
figured it out for the type of laptop that you have. The Debian package
"hibernate" has some helper scripts and some useful documentation. For
more specific information you have to tell us which model we are talking
about, which kernel you are using, etc. (The debian-laptop list might
actually be a better place to find someone who can help you further.)

--
Regards,
          Florian

Well, if your laptop is supported by the kernel acpi software suspend
(which is something you must find out 1st), then supposedly "acpitool
-S" suspends to disk and "acpitool -s" suspends to memory, and not
both are necessarily supported at the same time.  This is equivalent
to "echo disk /sys/power/state" or "echo mem /sys/power/state".  For
my dell 600M it used to work until 2.6.13 kernel, it stopped working
for a while, and now it's working back for 2.6.16 kernels under debian
unstable main stream.  I believe hybernate requires software suspend
2, which is not under debian main stream, but I might be wrong about
all this.

--  Javier  --