Re: Gnome instead of KDE dialog in Firefox

On Monday 29 May 2006 17:08, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 03:41:39PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> >I'm running KDE, and when I save something from Firefox (an .iso, .wav
> >file, etc), the "Save" dialog box looks decidedly Gnome-ish rather than
> >KDE-ish. This "Save" dialog doesn't have a method for manually typing
> >in a path, so I have to use the mouse to point-and-click through the
> >entire directory tree; quite irritating. Konqueror uses KDE's "Save"
> >dialog, so I think it's just Firefox that is askew.
> >
> >Any idea how to get Firefox to use KDE's "Save" dialog (or better, the
> >"Save" dialog for whatever environment/wm is running)?
>
> Not really what you ask for but have you tried hitting Ctrl+L? If it's a
> GNOME dialogue it should give you a text box to enter a path... it even
> has completion.
>
> /M

Though this solution is better it is still inferior to KDE's dialog. For
example when trying to open a pdf file with say xpdf, one has to give the
path as /usr/bin/xpdf. The moment one enters /usr/bin/ disk grinding starts
and firefox tries to load the entire /usr/bin into memory.

I think this gnome(?) behaviour is hard coded into firefox and is tough to
change. Someone please prove me wrong!

I switched to Konqueror completely just because of this problem.

hth
raju

--
http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/cornell-bazaar