Re: about wireless card installation

Antonio Rafael C. Paiva wrote:

>jw wrote:
>

>>I have a problem to setup my wireless card(Zyxel Zyair G-220). Below are
>>the steps I have done following the driver manual and research from
>>Internet:
>>
>>1. download kernel source code(I used 2.6.16)
>>2. download driver and firmware, zd1211
>>3. compile and install driver and firmware.
>>4. switch on the wireless card: ifconfig wlan0 on
>>5. scan for available AP: iwlist scanning
>>6. join AP: iwconfig wlan0 ESSID "XXXX"
>>7. give password(ascii): iwconfig wlan0 key s:abcd
>>8. I can see the wireless is existed under "/proc/net/wireless"
>>
>>If I run "iwconfig" I can see the ESSID, MAC address, channel, bit rate
>>of the AP I have joined. It all looked good.
>>
>>However, I don't get IP from "dhclient wlan0" which said no DHCP offers
>>received. I have tried to setup IP manually but not working still.
>>
>>>From the log of the AP it could see my wireless card though it didn't
>>allocate an IP to it. I have tried static dhcp but not working.
>>

>This may sound ridiculous but have you tried to do
>$ ifup <interface name>
>once you are associated with the AP, instead of using the dhclient
>command directly?
>Some time ago I experienced a similar problem and this approach solved
>it, incredibly enough!

I put these under /etc/network/interfaces and run "ifup wlan0"

iface wlan0 inet manual
address 192.168.0.200
network 192.168.0.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.10
wireless-essid baby
wireless-mode managed
wireless-key s:XXXX

But I still couldn't see any IP with "ifconfig"
wlan0
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1668 (1.6 KiB) TX bytes:1344 (1.3 KiB)

However, with "iwconfig" it looked like the card is associated with my AP

wlan0 802.11b/g NIC ESSID:"baby"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
Retry:off RTS thr=2432 B Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=20/100 Signal level=-128 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm

Just now I found that there is no "Tx-power" from the result of running
"iwconfig". Is that normal?

Also, I got such thing from "dmesg" just after I run "ifup wlan0"

Just Update WEP key
HashInsert macAddr = data [6]:
00 0f 3d 29 2e b3
zd1211:STA_ASSOCIATED with 00:00:00:00:00:00 <<-- this is exactly what I
copy
Bf RF ON: 9561911
After RF ON: 9561911
zd1211:Switch to Infra mode
zd1211:Mixed Mode
keybuf data [5]:
00 00 00 00 00
zd1211:WEP64 Mode
Update CardSetting
zd1211:Mixed Mode
zd1211:Mixed Mode
zd1211:STA_ASSOCIATED with <<<My AP MAC address>>
zd1211:zd1205: cmd = 8b03
zd1211:zd1205: cmd = 8b09
zd1211:zd1205: cmd = 8b1d
zd1211:zd1205: cmd = 8b27