Re: Was:Icons missing in Etch Now cannot log in

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 03:49:08PM -0400, vgatica@alumnos.inf.utfsm.cl wrote:
> Quoting Jim Seymour <bluejay@speedfactory.net>:
>
> >On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 01:19:12PM -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:
<snip>
> >>Gnome 2.14.1 and after a recent update, the system seems to be unable to
> >>locate most of its icons. This also affects some applications like
> >>Evolution. When I try to change the theme I get the following message:
> >>
> >>"The default theme schemas could not be found on your system. This means
> >>that you probably don't have metacity installed, or that your gconf is
> >>configured incorrectly."
> >>
> >>As a result it will not let me change to another theme. Metacity is
> >>installed and running. Where do I need to go now?
> >>

> I have the same problem, and i fixed running gnome-settings-daemon.
> i hope it works for you.

 Unfortunately, that may have worked earlier. I now can no longer log
into Gnome. It crashes and here is the output of .xsession-errors:

/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "jim"
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
SESSION_MANAGER=local/nuthatch:/tmp/.ICE-unix/6255
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Window manager warning: 0 stored in GConf key /desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse/cursor_size is not a reasonable cursor_size; must be in the range 1..128
The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

I can log into KDE just fine. Gnome now just crashes and goes back to
the login screen. Not sure where I need to go from here. I have tried
safe mode with the same results. Ideas???

Thanks,

Jim Seymour

--
I started using something better than the "standard" back when IBM
advertised OS/2 Warp on TV. As Linux matured I made the transition from