Re: Icons missing in Etch

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 01:19:12PM -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:
> I know I had seen a posting from someone else that had this same
> problem, however I cannot locate the thread. I am running Etch with
> Gnome 2.14.1 and after a recent update, the system seems to be unable to
> locate most of its icons. This also affects some applications like
> Evolution. When I try to change the theme I get the following message:
>
> "The default theme schemas could not be found on your system. This means
> that you probably don't have metacity installed, or that your gconf is
> configured incorrectly."
>
> As a result it will not let me change to another theme. Metacity is
> installed and running. Where do I need to go now?

Okay it looks like the update I did a couple of weeks ago included
gnome-desktop-data_2.14.1.1-1_all.deb. Is it correct to assume the icons
included in that package should include the standard icons used in the
system? It looks like testing and unstable are at the same version. Did
anyone else have this problem? The error messages that I get when logging
into gnome refer to icons that are missing from that package.

Thanks,

Jim

--
I started using something better than the "standard" back when IBM
advertised OS/2 Warp on TV. As Linux matured I made the transition from