Re: keyboard not working anymore in Xorg

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 07:47:53 +0200, Bart Schelstraete wrote:
> On 5/26/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> >On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 12:25:36 -0300, Henrique G. Abreu wrote:
> >> you check this files
> >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >> the InputDevice keyboard thing, and
> >> /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86
> >>
> >> post it here if you find nothing,
> >> it seems that you have an error, just in the beginning of the second one
> >
> >Good point about /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/. It reminded me of another
> >possible source of keyboard troubles. Please post the output of:
> >
> >dpkg -l xlibs\* xkb\* | grep ^ii
>
> Hi,
>
> This is my xorg.conf, keyboards settings:
>
> --
> Section "InputDevice"
>    Identifier     "Generic Keyboard"
>    Driver         "keyboard"
>    Option         "CoreKeyboard"
>    Option         "XkbRules" "xfree86"
>    Option         "XkbModel" "pc104"
>    Option         "XkbLayout" "be"
> EndSection
> --

I would try:

--
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier     "Generic Keyboard"
   Driver         "kbd"
   Option         "CoreKeyboard"
   Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
   Option         "XkbModel" "pc104"
   Option         "XkbLayout" "be"
EndSection
--

More information is in /etc/X11/xkb/README.config. Another possible
approach is to temporarily remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf (by renaming it)

> The output of dpkg:
>
> --
> debian:/etc/X11#  dpkg -l xlibs\* xkb\* | grep ^ii
> ii  xkb-data         0.8-5           X Keyboard Extension (XKB)
> configuration data
> ii  xlibs-dev        6.8.2.dfsg.1-11 X Window System client library
> development fi
> ii  xlibs-static-dev 7.0.20          transitional metapackage
> --

Just wanted to check if you have xkb-data; seems all OK.

> Yesterday I already re-installed x11-common and xkb-data, without any luck.
> Regarding the /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86 file, actually I don't
> know how it should look like, so I don't know if this is correct or
> not.

I hope that changing to the "xorg" keyboard rules fixes your problem.

--
Regards,
          Florian