deborphan defaults?

In my continuing effort to remove unneeded packages from my system I ran deborphan and came up with the following list of orphaned libs:

libruby
libdvdread3
liba52-0.7.4
libzzip-0-12
libfaad2-0
libhal0
libxosd2
libdirectfb-0.9-20
libstartup-notification0
libsigc++-1.2-5c102
libpostproc0
libdivxdecore0
libxvidcore4
libdb4.2++
libtar
libdvdnav4
libmpeg2-4
libmyspell3
libdvbpsi3
libneon23
libstlport4.6
libid3tag0

If I am reading the man page correctly, deborphan will consider a package as NOT being orphaned if it is 'Suggested' or 'Recommended', is that correct? Many of these packages seem to be audio/video/dvd related. I don't want xine, for example, to suddenly not behave correctly, but, since it is installed through apt-get, if any of these packages were in any way used by it, they would not be reported by deborphan. Is this correct?

If I run 'apt-cache rdepends' on the above list, I get a lot of references to openoffice.org-bin (1.1.3) which I have already uninstalled. (I am using v2.0 from the openoffice.org site). There are also numerous references to mplayer and vlc, which I am also no longer using.

I realize that any packages manually installed from a tarball and not by debian package management tools will not prevent a package from being shown as an orphan, but I rarely install non debian packages, so...

Can I reasonably assume that it is safe to uninstall these packages?

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail