Re: X-Windows Problems

Thomas H. George <tom@tomgeorge.info>:
>  On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 03:30:43AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> > Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info>:
> > >  I am stumbling through the move from Sarge to testing.  I have managed
> >
> > There are reasons why Sarge is called stable.  Stay with
> > Sarge/stable.  Testing is meant for those who *know* Debian well
> > enough to not stumble, not for those who want newer software.
>
>  I feel a little put down but not deterred and a little puzzled.  Should

Not a put down.  :-)

>  only developers use testing?  Is there not some advantage in having a

I didn't mention developers.  I said "those who *know* Debian well
enough to not stumble".  The point of all this is to get a working
system.  The point of Debian is to produce stable; always has been,
hopefully always will be.

>  larger group trying to use the packages as long as it is understood that
>  they may fail?

There is, sure, but if you're stumbling with testing, how much help
can you be?  I think it's better for you and Debian that you have a
working system from which you can continue to learn.

I've been running Linux since '93, Debian since the late '90's, yet
I'm still stumbling in ways.  Since re-installing my system over the
weekend, I can't get my printer to work.  It was fine a week ago.  I
can't figure out how to get a left-handed mouse.  No amount of
fiddling with xmodmap, ~/.inputrc, or gpm repeating has had any
effect.  I learned how to do all that stuff a long time ago, yet here
I am running a _stable_ system which is exhibiting warts.  It's bloody
annoying.  Less experienced users might be tempted to give up on
Debian if stuff like that was happening to them, and that's the last
thing Debian needs.

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html
           http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt