Re: Parallelizing fetchmail

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 20:19 -0400, Rich Johnson wrote:

> On May 22, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Casey T. Deccio wrote:
>

> > Sorry if this sounds like "install ...", but I've found MailScanner
> >
> > be helpful for accomplishing this.  From 'man MailScanner':
> >

> [...snip...]
>

> It sounds pretty good to me.  It replaces all those fetchmail/spamc
> daemons in my strawman.
>

> But I'm confused about the _queue_ directory specified in the man
> pages.  What's its format?  Will a maildir suffice?

The "queue" is a regular MTA mail queue for a system, not a user mailbox
or maildir.  So there are in fact two mail queues, one for MailScanner,
and one for the MTA:

1. The message is received by the incoming MTA and queued in the
incoming queue.
2. MailScanner retrieves the message from the incoming queue, scans it,
and sends it to the outgoing MTA queue.
3. The outgoing instance of the MTA retrieves the message from the
outgoing queue and delivers it accordingly.

Casey