Re: Apt-get upate problem

On Saturday 20 May 2006 18:36, Chris Lale wrote:
> John O'Hagan wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> >
> >Unless my logic is askew, this means that the problem is not the file size
> > or type, nor the repository, nor any problem with the integrity
> >or "downloadability" (TM!) of the files. AFAICT, that only leaves apt-get
> >itself as the culprit. Would this be correct?
> >
> >But what could be wrong with apt-get such that it fails to deal with two
> >particular list files only?
> >
> >Maybe I should purge and reinstall apt, but is this possible? Seems risky!
> >(I've already tried apt-get install --reinstall and dpkg-reconfigure.)
> >[...]
>
> Just a thought - have you tried using the 'aptitude' command instead of
> 'apt-get'?
>
>     # aptitude update
>
> Another thought - it might be worth checking that there is enough free
> space on the partition.

Thanks Chris; tried your suggestions, but aptitude update produces the same
error; and there is plenty of disk space.

A bit more information: the apt-get error is:

"Failed to fetch
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  Data
socket timed out"

However the actual mirror has two Packages files, a .gz and a .bz2.  and the
(incomplete) file which appears on my machine is a .bz2.

Is it possible that somewhere in the process the file-type is being confused?

Another feature of this problem is that both the updates and any hand-assisted
upgrades seem to fail within 50kB of completion. The upgrades complete
immediately they are restarted; the updates start again and fail again.

I'm really stumped.

John