Re: Apt-get upate problem

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 00:36, John O'Hagan wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Last few days, when I try to do apt-get update on my Etch laptop, it fails

I've narrowed the problem down to one strange fact:

> The offending  files -... :
> ftp.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages, and
> ftp.tux.org_java_debian_dists_testing_Release.gpg.

never move from /var/lib/apt/lists/partial into /var/lib/apt/lists. The first
file is a bz2 of 2.8MB, the second a 189B OpenPGP key bundle. They come from
different repositories. All other files, some of the same type from both
repositories, download correctly.

Further, as I said in my original post, I can directly download the files and
paste them into place, and all is well (although tedious).

Unless my logic is askew, this means that the problem is not the file size or
type, nor the repository, nor any problem with the integrity
or "downloadability" (TM!) of the files. AFAICT, that only leaves apt-get
itself as the culprit. Would this be correct?

But what could be wrong with apt-get such that it fails to deal with two
particular list files only?

Maybe I should purge and reinstall apt, but is this possible? Seems risky!
(I've already tried apt-get install --reinstall and dpkg-reconfigure.)

Any insights appreciated,

Thanks,

John